The Crossfit 27:17 blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://crossfit2717.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Do you have what it takes?

I just witnessed one of the 2 most impressive workouts performed today. The first I just want to mention was one of our newest athletes Kelsey who performed 17-1 Squats and 1-17 sit ups in a blazing 6:33. She started on the squats and 3 of the guys in the gym jaws dropped b/c of how fast she was moving. Great job Kelsey!

The second and possibly the most impressive time was Natalie who did 20-1 Squats and 1-20 Sit Ups in 37:30 which may not sound impressive at first. Natalie has been doing CrossFit for a little over a month and just mastered the "full" squat about a week ago. She has been out of town on vacation the last week. This being her first week back and she came back with just as much heart as ever. She did EVERY squat with full hip extension at the top and touch the medicine ball at the bottom, she did EVERY sit up unassissted. No help from pulling her legs or anything and never even thought about going short on the squat. She never complained kept on keeping on (gave me a few looks like "are you crazy, I'll never finish" but she did.

A lot of people beat Natalie today in the workout but A LOT of people assissted themselves or cut their squats short b/c they said "I can't do anymore like that". Natalie is a great example of never saying "I can't". Mitchell (who also did it all unassissted and full squats) and I were discussing how impressive the workout was after and all she had to say was "I just did what Michael told me to" like there was no option to do anything different. Great Job Natalie!

Intensity is you working at a % of YOUR OWN max capacity, working at the limits of your physiological and phsychological limits. Do you have what it takes to push to the limits of your bodies capacity? Take some time to seriously think about this b/c your bodies limits are a lot farther than your mind wants to think. I don't care how long it takes to do something, I will stay at the gym counting your reps for an hour if your are deteremined and are simply performing the workout as best YOU can.

Post thoughts on intensity and effort to comments. Do you feel like you've been giving 110%? Do you think you could push a little bit harder and maybe get a little better results?

3 comments:

  1. Good job, Kelsey!!
    YAAAY NATALIE!!!! Keep up the good work, girl!!

    As for the question of whether I give 110%...I can say I have not. Previous injuries have left me cautious and more apt to move slower and deliberately. I would love to be able to do all the movements fully with abandon, but I cannot.
    I am happy and excited for Natalie and I have hi-fives for everyone else pushing themselves outside of their comfort zone. They say marathoners represent 1% of the world population...I am pretty sure Crossfitters are less than that, but that just means we are not "average"...we're the elite few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of Natalie as well as impressed with Kelsey.
    I truly believe everyone is trying their best. Finding our own limits will be the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO GIRLS!!!!!!!

    I really do give it my all every workout! I just have bad and good days! This is why I am trying the diet hoping I will feel good and have more energy EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete